This no salt cajun seasoning mix is perfect for when you want all the flavor of cajun food without the sodium. I absolutely love cajun food but hate how much salt is in the store bought options, so I decided to make my own seasoning mix.
Why you'll love it
- All the big flavor of cajun food without the salt
- Perfect for people on low sodium diets
- Easily customizable
- Can be stored for upto 6 months
- Very versatile seasoning mix that can be used on a variety of dishes
What is Cajun seasoning and where does it come from?
Cajun cuisine and seasoning hails from Louisiana. It's a bold and spicy blend of herbs and spices that is the backbone of cajun cuisine. It can be found in stable cajun dishes like jambalaya, gumbo, crawfish boils, étouffée and even in shrimp and grits.
Ingredients needed low sodium cajun seasoning
- Smoked paprika, you can use regular paprika if you prefer
- Crushed Red pepper
- Black pepper
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
What can you use this no sodium cajun seasoning
This seasoning is perfect on a variety of dishes
- Great on proteins like: Chicken, shellfish, pork, and fish.
- Add to pastas like your fettuccini alfredo or mac and cheese.
- Rice dishes like jambalaya.
- Add it to your favorite soups and stews for an extra kick.
- Fantastic on vegetables like brussel sprouts, roasted potatoes or asparagus.
- Use it to make a zesty dip or aioli .
Want a low sodium cajun seasoning instead of salt free? Add ½ tablespoon to 1 tablespoon of kosher salt to this seasoning blend.
Don't like too much heat in your food? Simply reduce or omit the amount of crushed red pepper and cayenne pepper you add to this seasoning mix.
Don't like smoked paprika? Use regular paprika instead
Storage for this salt free cajun seasoning
Place this seasoning blend in an airtight sealed container or mason jar and stir at room temperature for up to and 6 months.
Check out these other salsas and marinades
Cajun Seasoning No Salt
- 3 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- ½ tablespoon cayenne
- ½ tablespoon crushed red pepper
- In a medium sized bowl, add all of the herbs and spices. Mix until well combined.
- Use immediately or store for later use.