Beer, Chorizo & Beef Chili Recipe
A rich chili filled with beer, spanish chorizo, ground beef and beans
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 pound of Spanish chorizo skin removed
- 1 medium yellow onion peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 15 oz. can unsalted black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 14 oz. cans unsalted, fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 15 oz. can unsalted red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 serrano pepper thinly sliced jalapeño will work as well
- 1 12 oz bottle of beer pale ale, red ale or whatever beer is in your fridge
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- cheddar cheese garnish/optional
- sour cream garnish/optional
- sliced serrano pepper garnish/optional
Heat oil in a large stockpot pan over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef, chorizo onion, garlic and a pinch of salt.
Cook for about 10 minutes or until the beef is completely browned, crumbling the beef with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Drain about half of the excess fat.
While the beef is cooking, place the contents of two cans of fire-roasted diced tomatoes in the blender and puree. Set aside.
Once you have drained the excess fat from the cook meat, add the remaining ingredients including the pureed tomatoes and stir to combine.
Cover and bring to a boil over medium heat, takes about 20 minutes. Once boiling drop the heat to low and cook for 60 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste, and season with additional salt and pepper if need be.
Serve hot and garnish with cheddar cheese, sour cream, green onions and/orfresh serrano peppers
For a spicy chili add the entire sliced serrano pepper, for a milder chili only add half a serrano pepper and save the remainder for garnish.
Garnish with your choice of the following:
Leftover chili will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 4-5 days. If you want to freeze this chili, allow the chili to cool to room temperature. Package in airtight containers or Ziploc freezer bags and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Thaw frozen chili in the refrigerator overnight. Place chili in a saucepan. Cover and warm over low heat, just until heated through. If it seems too thick, thin the chili with a splash of broth or water.
- green onions,
- sliced serrano peppers
- sour cream
- crackers (oyster, cheez its or saltines)
- diced onions
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 372kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 94mg | Sodium: 1393mg | Potassium: 394mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 1111IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 37mg | Iron: 5mg