When I was in middle school, my internal organs were 80% rice krispie treats. Even though my diet is no longer mostly sugar, I still have a soft spot in my heart for these sweet treats.
So when Graze approached me about teaming up for a recipe, I decided it was time to upgrade one of my favorite childhood treats with a healthy-ish and adult twist. With some brown butter, a sprinkle of toffee and a ton of Graze’s Super Cacao Nibs, these rice treats are definitely NOT what I lived off in school, but they’re delicious all the same.
These Cacao Nib rice krispie treats are my new favorite. They have an adult spin on my favorite childhood snack and I'm obsessed.
Cacao Nib Rice Krispie Treat Recipe
Rice krispies treats made with cacao nibs and toffee bits
Servings: 9 people
- 5 Tablespoons of salted butter
- 1 16 oz package of marshmallows
- 6 Cups puffed rice cereal
- ¾ Cup of Graze’s Super Cacao Nibs separated
- 2 Tablespoons of sugar
- ¼ Cup of toffee bits
- Line a 8" x 8" pan with parchment paper draped over each long side and set aside. Place the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- As the butter melts, stir constantly keeping an eye on the changing color of the butter. The butter will begin to foam up and bubble and you will notice it change color slightly from yellow to very light brown. The butter will burn if left for too long, so be on the lookout for a caramel/amber color.
- Once the butter has browned, add the marshmallows and reduce the heat to low, stirring frequently. When the marshmallows are almost completely melted, add the puffed rice cereal and stir until coated. Remove from the heat.
- Fold ½ a cup of the cacao nibs, all of the toffee bits and brown sugar into the rice cereal mixture until well incorporated. Pour the marshmallow-coated puffed rice cereal mixture into the prepared pan and, using a silicone spatula, spread into an even layer. Sprinkle the remaining ¼ cup of cacao nibs over the surface evenly.
- Allow the rice krispie treats to cool to room temperature before cutting into even-sized squares. In a rush to stuff your face? Place the pan in the fridge for 10 minutes to allow the marshmallow to cool.
The rice krispie treats will keep for up to 3-4 days stored in an airtight container at room temperature.
Serving: 1square | Calories: 376kcal | Carbohydrates: 63g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 24mg | Sodium: 108mg | Potassium: 22mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 38g | Vitamin A: 270IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 7mg | Iron: 1mg
Tried this Recipe? Tag me Today!Mention @FatGirlHedonist or tag #fatgirlhedonist!
Leave a Reply