At the risk of being disowned, I recently shared my mom's recipe for Cuban mojo marinade with my friend Giovanny from Chat Chow TV. Since then, I've had several people ask for the recipe so in an attempt to make it easier on myself, I've decided to just post it on here.
It has to be our little secret, because my mother does NOT need to know I posted her recipe on the internet! I may be an adult but lets face it, her chancleta knows no bounds.
How long will this mojo good for?
This traditional cuban mojo recipe will keep in your refrigerator for upto 3 months.
What can you use traditional cuban mojo recipe on?
This marinade is fantastic on chicken and even steak, but it’s best used for marinating pork. I use this Cuban mojo marinade to make my dad’s lechon during the holidays.
What is Cuban mojo made of?
This traditional cuban mojo recipe is made of the following ingredients:
- Sour oranges
- Bay leaves
- Onion powder
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Sazon Completo
If you don’t have access to sour oranges, you can use ⅔ orange juice and ⅓ lime juice. You can also run all of the garlic through a food processor instead of mincing by hand.
Traditional Cuban Mojo Recipe
- The juice from 11-12 sour oranges
- 4 minced heads of garlic yes heads! whole lot of garlic going on!
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon of Oregano
- 1 tablespoon of onion powder
- 1 tablespoon of Cumin
- 1 teaspoon of fresh ground black pepper
- Pinch of sugar
- 3 teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of Badia's Sazon Completo
- Combine all ingredients and whisk together in a large bowl.
- Using a funnel pour into a 1 liter bottle and keep refrigerated until ready to use.
- It will be good for roughly 7-14 days in the refrigerator until you're ready to marinate your protein of choice.
Now remember, this is our little secret!