This Cuban lentil soup is a staple in Cuban cuisine. This delicious soup is my favorite comfort meals. These lentejas Cubanas have such amazing depth of flavor; this dish is hearty, filling and nutritious.
Why you'll love this potaje de lentejas
- This soup is perfect for keeping warm during winter months.
- This Instant pot recipe is great for meal prep.
- This cuban recipe is gluten free and a great source of fiber and protein.
- Comfort Foods like this lentil soup can be frozen for future consumption.
What to serve with this great recipe
This soup is often served with a bowl of Cuban white rice.
Ingredients for this traditional cuban lentil soup
- Dry lentils
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Yellow onion
- Red bell pepper
- Garlic cloves
- Dried oregano
- Ground cumin
- Smoked sweet Paprika
- Black pepper
- Tomato Paste
- Chicken Bouillon
- Smoked pork loin
- Spanish chorizo links
- Bay leaves
- Carrots peeled
- Red potatoes
Instructions for this cuban lentil soup recipe
Set your instant pot to saute and add the olive oil, chopped onions and chopped bell pepper. Saute until the onions are translucent and then add in the minced garlic.
Add to the Instant Pot the brown lentils, chorizo slices, smoked pork loin, dried oregano, ground cumin, smoked paprika, bay leaves, salt, black pepper, chicken boullian and tomato paste. Close and secure the lid of the Instant Pot and set to Stew with low pressure for 45 minutes
Release the steam from the Instant pot and openthe lid carefully. Add the potatoes and carrots to the pot and allow to simmer for 20 minutes until the carrots and potatoes are fork tender.
Before serving, remove bay leaf and garnish with minced parsley.
Variations and substitutions of this flavorful soup
Don't consume pork products? Opt instead for chicken sausage and spoked turkey neck or smoked turkey leg.
Don't have red bell peppers? Opt instead for green bell pepper
Can't find smoked pork loin? I love using smoked pork belly as an alternative. You can also use ham hock, smoked cooking ham, or ham shank meat.
Don't want to use water for your lentil stew? Use chicken stock or chicken broth instead.
Make this a vegan lentil soup by omitting the chorizo sausage, chicken bouillon and smoked pork loin. Use instead vegetable stock.
Don't own an Instant Pot? This soup can also be made in a pressure cooker.
Don't have brown lentils? Opt for green lentils or red lentils instead.
Don't have red potatoes? You can use Russet potatoes or Idaho potatoes.
Storage for this lentil recipe
Place the leftover hearty lentil soup in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for upto 4 days.
You can freeze the your leftover potaje de lentejas in a freezer bag or airtight container for upto 3 months. To defrost, place in the refrigerator over night.
Check out these other Cuban recipes
Lentejas Cubanas (Cuban Lentil Soup)
- 14 oz package of dry lentils
- 2 tablespoons Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Yellow onion diced
- 1 red Red bell pepper diced
- 5 Garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon Dried oregano
- 1 ½ teaspoon Ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon Smoked sweet Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Chicken bouillon
- 1 lb Smoked pork loin
- 1 5.5 oz package of Spanish chorizo links
- 5 cup Water
- 2 Bay leaves
- 2 Carrots peeled
- 2 Red potatoes peeled and cut into cubes
- Set your instant pot to sauté and add the olive oil, chopped onions and chopped bell pepper. Saute until the onions are translucent and then add in the minced garlic.
- Add to the Instant Pot the brown lentils, chorizo slices, smoked pork loin, dried oregano, ground cumin, smoked paprika, bay leaves, salt, black pepper, chicken boullian and tomato paste. Close and secure the lid of the Instant Pot and set to Stew with low pressure for 45 minutes
- Release the steam from the Instant pot and open the lid carefully.
- Add the potatoes and carrots to the pot. Set the Instant pot to the sauté setting and allow to cook for 20 minutes until the carrots and potatoes are fork tender.
- Before serving, remove bay leaf and garnish with minced parsley.