As an adult, my love for cookies has evolved. I used to love plain chocolate chip, but now it's all about white chocolate. The other day I white chocolate macadamia cookies, but had not macadamia nuts in the house. I decided to throw in some pistachio nuts instead and OH MY GOD. These white chocolate pistachio cookies are now my absolute favorite.
I've played with the pistachio and white chocolate combination before in my biscotti recipe. However, this was my first time putting the two in a traditional cookie and I'm obsessed.
Will any nut do?
If you don't have pistachios or don't like them, you can always replace them with 1 cup of your nut of choice. Macadamia is an obvious (and famous) option. Other options are pecans, peanuts and cashews.
White chocolate chunks VS. white chocolate chips
White chocolate chunks are the way to go! To me, smashing up a big chocolate bar is not only cathartic, the chocolate tastes better than baking chips. For this recipe, I used 2 Lindt white chocolate bars. I smashed them up into about ½ inch pieces and added them into the dough.
Freezing your cookie dough
I love the idea of always having freshly baked cookies available. So when I make cookie dough, I'll only bake the cookies I plan on eating and the rest is frozen.
To freeze your cookie dough, scoop it out onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Place the cookie sheet in the freezer for 10 minutes. This helps firm up the dough so it doesn't lose its shape when you store it. After ten minutes, remove from the freezer and place the dough in a freezer storage bag or air-tight container and place it back in the freezer.
White Chocolate Pistachio Cookies
- 1 cup room temperature salted butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated white sugar
- 2 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of unsalted shelled pistachios
- 1 cup of white chocolate chunks I used 2 Lindt 4oz white chocolate bars
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, cornstarch, and salt together then set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the butter, oil, brown sugar, and granulated sugar together until no sugar lumps remain.
- To the sugar mixture, add in the eggs and vanilla. Mix until combined.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the bowl with wet ingredients. Gently mix until combined.
- Fold in the pistachios and white chocolate into the dough.
- Using an ice cream scoop, scoop out the dough and place them on the prepared baking sheets. Leave about 1-2 inches of space between the cookies
- Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes.
- Allow to cool before serving and enjoy!
- If you're baking these cookies using frozen dough, bake for 15 minutes.
- If you'd like smaller cookies, use a melon-baller or tablespoon and bake for 7-9 minutes.