What's better than chocolate cake? Triple chocolate cake with coffee and coffee liqueur in it. What's better than chocolate cake with coffee in it? Triple chocolate cake with an entire colada baked into it and a chocolate fudge filling. This cake should fix your sweet craving and your caffeine fix all in one bite.
This is a rich and indulgent cake that is perfect for the chocolate lover in your life. Fudge filling, rich chocolate cake and a rich chocolate buttercream is served perfectly with a big glass of your favorite milk.
My son hates cake and he doesn't like sweets in general. Except for chocolate. The last time I made this cake, I had him help me and he saw just how much chocolate went into this cake. It's now the only cake he is willing to eat and is requesting this cake for his birthday.
|Granulated white sugar|
Unsweetened cocoa powder
Instant coffee powder
Cuban espresso coffee
|Coffee liqueur of choice|
Pure vanilla paste
Dark chocolate chips
Sweetened condensed milk
Semi sweet chocolate chips
Oreo chocolate cake - Make this an oreo chocolate cake by adding ½ cup of crushed oreos to each inner fudge layer. You can also add crushed oreos to the frosted sides of the cake and use crushed oreos instead of sprinkles for a garnish.
Orange Chocolate cake - You can convert this to an Orange and chocolate cake by adding a layer of orange marmalade over the inner fudge layers. You can also swap out the coffee liqueur in the cake batter recipe for orange liqueur.
- Don't have cuban coffee? You can use your favorite and strongest coffee instead!
- Don't have buttermilk? You can use 1 cup of whole milk with 1 tablespoon of white vinegar, allow it to sit for 10 minutes before using.
- Don't have vanilla paste? Good quality vanilla extract will do.
You'll need the following things to create this recipe
Leftover cake can be covered tightly at room temperature overnight. I Like to place plastic wrap over any exposed cake layers (that aren't covered with frosting) to ensure it doesn't dry out.
If you want to reserve leftover cake for longer, place in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days in a tightly sealed container.
Other cake recipes to try
Triple Chocolate Cake Recipe
- 1 ¾ Cups granulated white sugar
- 1 ¾ Cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ Cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ½ Teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ Teaspoons baking soda
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 2 Large eggs
- 2 teaspoons of instant coffee powder
- ½ Cup of Cuban espresso coffee Any brand will do
- ½ Cup of coffee liqueur of choice
- 1 Cup of buttermilk
- ½ Cup of melted butter 1 stick
- 1 ½ Teaspoons pure vanilla paste vanilla extract will work as well
- Cuban Mocha Buttercream:
- 11 Ounce package of dark chocolate chips
- 1 Cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 3 Cups confectioners sugar
- 1 Teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoon of Cuban espresso coffee.
- Fudge Filling:
- 1 can of sweetened condensed milk
- 2 Tablespoons of cuban espresso coffee
- 12 oz of semi sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and place oven rack in the center of the oven. Butter, or spray with a non stick vegetable spray three 9 inch cake pans. Line the bottoms of the pans with parchment paper and set the pans aside. Dust off your abuela's cafetera and make yourself some Cuban coffee. Once you have brewed 1 cup worth of Cuban coffee and set aside
- In a large bowl whisk together the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, coffee, liqueur, buttermilk, melted butter, and vanilla paste. Once combined, mix in the dry ingredients slowly.
- Divide the batter between the 3 pans as evenly as possible and bake for 22 minutes or until all pans pass the toothpick test. Once cooked, remove from the oven and allow the cakes to rest for about 10 minutes atleast. Then, remove the cakes from their pans and place them face down on parchment paper lined wire rack to cool completely.
- Cakes must be completely cooled before frosting, otherwise your frosting will melt and you'll have a hell of a mess. You can also wrap them in plastic wrap once completely cooled if you're baking these ahead of time, they'll keep in your fridge for a few days until you're read to make your cake.
- Now that your cakes are cooling, it's time to make your frosting. Temper your chocolate over medium heat. When the chocolate is completely melted, remove from heat and set aside. I know the chocolate is all shiny, melted and calling your name, tempting you to bust out the ice cream and eat it as is, but you can't do this. Ok ok, maybe just a spoonful, BUT THAT'S IT!
- In a large sized bowl using your hand mixer, beat the butter until smooth and creamy. Then, add the sugar and beat until it is light and fluffy. Mix in the vanilla extract and espresso. Slowly add the melted chocolate and beat on low speed until incorporated. Once mixed completely, crank up the speed on the mixer til the frosting is smooth.
- During this time you can also make your fudge filling. in a microwave safe bowl, add your chocolate chips and melt them in the microwave until fully melted then add in your condensed milk and espresso and whisk til combine. Allow to cool (about 30 min) and set aside.
- Now that your cakes have completely cooled off, your frosting and fudge are done, it's time to assemble your cake. Place one cake layer bottom side facing up on your serving plate and slowly peel away the parchment paper (or plastic wrap, this way the less even part of the cake is on the bottom and it's easier to spread the icing.
- Scoop about ½ of fudge and place in the center of the cake, spreading it out as evenly as possible. Allow about a ½ inch space around the edge so the filling doesn't "bleed" out onto the sides. You can also pipe some of your frosting along the outer edge to create a dam in order to prevent and "bleeding."
- Gently, place the second layer of cake bottom side facing up on top of the icing and add the remaining fudge and spread it carefully. Repeating the same process as the previous layer. Finally place the third cake layer on top and begin spreading your buttercream through out the cake evenly. You can decorate with sprinkles or eat as is!
I hope you enjoy this triple chocolate cake recipe as much as we do.
Leave a Reply