The last few weeks, I have been inching my way back into the Keto Diet. So that means eating more cauliflower! This low carb and Keto diet friendly cauliflower soup has a mild cauliflower flavor that's blends perfectly with the cheese, chives and bacon.
Initially, I was trying to make a cauliflower mash, but I added too much cream and blended for too long. The result was a light and almost airy cream of cauliflower soup.
What makes this keto/low carb?
Cauliflower has very few carbs and it's the reason why this vegetable has become so popular in recent years. There are 5 grams of carbs in every cup of raw cauliflower, because of the amount of fiber in cauliflower there is 3.2 grams of net carbs per cup.
The other ingredients in this keto cauliflower soup have 0-1 carbs!
What to serve with this Keto Cauliflower Soup?
Keto Cauliflower Soup
- 1 head of cauliflower cut into florets
- kosher salt to taste
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- ½ cup of sour cream
- ¾ cup of heavy cream
- 2 ½ cups of low sodium chicken broth
- 3 slices of bacon garnish
- minced chives garnish
- Cheddar Cheese garnish
- extra Sour cream garnish
- Chop your uncooked bacon into about one inch pieces. Heat a large pot over medium-high heat, add the bacon and cook until crispy. Once the bacon is done remove it from the pan and allow it to drain on a paper towel.
- Next, add the cauliflower, chicken broth, salt, pepper, garlic, onion, thyme and bay leaf to the pot. Bring the soup to a boil and then lower the heat. Let the soup simmer for 15 minutes or until the cauliflower are fork tender.
- When the cauliflower florets are tender, turn off the heat and remove the bay leaf. Add the heavy cream and sour cream to the pot and use an immersion blender to blend until smooth.
- Plate and top with bacon, chives, cheddar cheese and an extra dollop of sour cream if desired.