So last year while trying to cope with my postpartum depression, raising a tiny human and dealing with baby daddy drama from ninth circle of hell... I ended up gaining about 25 pounds. By the time November came around, I was weighing as much as I did while I was 6 months pregnant.
I had to tighten up the reigns on my weight because I could not afford a whole new wardrobe. I picked the worst time of the year, but the week before Christmas I decided to start the ketogenic diet. So far I'm down 27 pounds and counting.
I love pasta, it's such an easy dinner especially when you're a single mom. I've been playing around with making keto-friendly substitutes to my reliable pasta standbys, which brings me to this spaghetti squash Alfredo recipe. The recipe is done in 20 minutes! I posted a picture of it on my Instagram and had an overwhelming amount of people asking for the recipe so, here it is.
keto low carb-friendly spaghetti squash alfredo recipe
- 1 Spaghetti squash 3-4 lbs
- 2 Teaspoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ¼ Teaspoon of salt
- ¼ Teaspoon of black pepper
- ¼ Cup water
- 1 Cup heavy cream
- 3 Oz cream cheese room temperature
- ¾ cup of Parmesan cheese separated
- 2 tablespoon of unsalted butter room temperature
- ½ teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 Pinch white pepper
- 1 Pinch freshly ground nutmeg
- ¼ Cup of shredded mozzarella
- minced fresh parsley or thyme optional/ for garnish
- Cut spaghetti squash in half and remove all the seeds.
- Drizzle the inside of the squash with olive oil and rub to cover the inside of the squash. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place squash halves, cut sides down, in an 8x8 casserole dish; add the ¼ cup water. Microwave, covered, on high for 15 minutes. Or until tender.
- While the squash is in the microwave, start working on the Alfredo sauce. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, place the cream cheese and butter. Once melted, slowly incorporate the heavy cream and ½ cup of Parmesan cheese. Once well combined, whisk in the garlic, pepper and nutmeg. Set to low heat and whisk occasionally.
- Once your spaghetti squash is tender, cool slightly and separate strands of squash with a fork. Spread the strands evenly onto the same 8x8 dish you cooked it in. Evenly pour the Alfredo sauce over the top of the squash stands.
- Top with the mozzarella cheese and ¼ cup of Parmesan cheese and place uncovered in the oven under broil until cheese is slightly browned and bubbly (about 3-5 minutes)
- Garnish with fresh thyme or parsley