It's that time of year again and it's time to get festive. Lately, I've been finding myself trying new foods and drinks to share with my son and this spin on Mexican Ponche Navideño has been such a hit with him. The best part about this drink is that it only has 40 calories and is filled with fruits my son loves. Fresh fruit and 100% juices are a great way to add sweetness to beverages without the need for added sugars, luckily this recipe is packed with apples, pears, dried prunes and guava nectar.
Traditionally, Ponche Navideño is enjoyed warm. However, with South Florida's weather being permanently set to "unbearably HOT" we always drink this punch over ice.
This recipe uses Lipton Green Tea and brewed with cloves and cinnamon. Lipton tea is easy to brew either hot or iced. I always make it my own by adding a few slices of fruit or garnishing with your favorite herbs and spices.
Mexican Christmas Punch Recipe
- 20 whole cloves
- 2 oranges thickly sliced
- 1 ½ quarts water
- 1 apple cut into bite-size chunks
- 1 pear cut into bite-size chunks
- 8 pitted prunes halved
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 2 Tbsp. firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 6 Lipton® Green Tea Bags
- 1 cup guava nectar
- Stick cloves into skin of orange slices. Put water, orange slices, apple, pear, prunes and cinnamon sticks in 4 qt. pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes for fruit to soften and for flavors to develop.
- Stir in brown sugar. Remove from heat and add Lipton® Green Tea Bags; cover and steep 5 minutes. Remove tea bags and stir in nectar.
- Ladle punch and fruit into mugs.