Many years ago I fell in love with Spanish hot chocolate from San Gines in Madrid, Spain. It was rich and absolutely amazing. It's rich, thick and completely indulgent. I have been wanting to recreate it for years and I finally did it.
Why you'll love it
- Rich drinking chocolate that is perfect for a chilly day
- Takes only 4 ingredients to make
- Ready in less than 10 minutes
- Pairs perfectly with warm churros, croissant or pan dulce.
- Dark Chocolate
- Half & Half
- Vanilla Extract
- Cinnamon (optional)
- Cayenne pepper (optional)
In a small sauce pan add the dark chocolate, half & half and sugar. Place over medium heat and whisk constantly.
Once the chocolate is completely melted stir in the vanilla, cinnamon and cayenne. Whisk for another minute.
Serve in your favorite mug and enjoy.
Want a dairy free Spanish hot chocolate? Use your choice of non dairy milk and ½ teaspoon of cornstarch.
Don't have half and half? Make this drinking chocolate by mixing half heavy cream and half whole milk.
Want a vegan Spanish hot chocolate? Use vegan dark chocolate and opt for a non-dairy, vegan half and half.
In the rare occasion that you have any left over Spanish ish hot chocolate, place your hot chocolate in an airtight container and place a piece of plastic wrap on the top of the hot chocolate to avoid a thick film developing on the chocolate. Place in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Warm up in the microwave in 30 second intervals and stirring in between until you've reached the desired temperature.
Using half and half will make your hot chocolate naturally thick and you won't need to add any additional thickening agents like cornstarch.
Be sure to use dark chocolate for a rich chocolate flavor, Ideally between 60-70% cacao. Anything over 70% cacao, you may need to adjust the amount of sweetener.
Check out these other chocolate recipes
Spanish Hot Chocolate
- 2 cups Half & half
- 8 oz Dark chocolate betweek 60-70% cacao
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon Granulated white sugar
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon powder optional
- Pinch Cayenne powder optional
- In a small sauce pan add the dark chocolate, half & half and sugar. Place over medium heat and whisk constantly.
- Once the chocolate is completely melted stir in the vanilla, cinnamon and cayenne. Whisk for another minute.
- Pour in your favorite mug and enjoy
Leave a Reply